Friday, March 9, 2012

Gaming - Part 4

The last game that I play in my free time, I play the least, probably because it's the most complicated of the four.  It's Star Trek Online.

First, let me say it's Star Trek, but it's not exactly Star Trek.  It's set like another hundred years in the future.  The Klingons are at war with the Federation, Species 8472 is causing havoc everywhere, the Borg are sort of back in business.  One frustrating thing right off is that it's not the Star Trek lore I know.

The game is really split between two types of game.  Planetary expeditions and space combat.  Space combat is extremely frustrating.  The controls are hard to get used to, the camera angles are nauseating, the need for 360 degree spacial awareness is something I've never truly mastered.

The interface is klunky, taking noticeable time to draw a menu on the screen.  The character avatars are...different.  I don't know what engine the game is built on, but its distracting.  Plus your characters run funny.

As I said, I don't play it often.  There's not a lot of opportunity for solo play in this game, and I only play with one person (a guildmember from DDO and WoW), and he doesn't play this very often either.  In fact, he's more into Star Wars Online right now, anyway.  I keep hoping things will change.  I keep the game updated, as they release patches every so often, and I may just log in and start over, trying to re-learn it.  You never know!

No comments:

Post a Comment