Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Never wish for Excitement...

...because you'll get it.

Woke up with a neck ache at about 545am.  Laid down, and it turned into a fullblown headache by about 730.  I let work know I wouldn't be in (took me forever to even peck out the letters on the keyboard).

About noon, I could start functioning again, but ugh, it was still 'not fun'.  Played Star Wars for a little bit, did some other stuff, then my computer started acting up, rebooted and when it came back, I had lost connection to the network, and the internet.

Laptop worked fine, so it was isolated to the main computer.  So on top of the headache, I had to deal with rebooting the computer multiple times, messing with the BIOS multiple times, messing with the modem/router multiple times..  About 7, we ran up to Best Buy so I could get a replacement NIC.  They don't carry them any more.  Sigh.

We stopped at Noodles and got some dinner, then ran across town to Micro Center.  They had a card, so I got one, and a cheap network cable, just in case.  Got home, put the card in, and...nothing.

Spent some time on the laptop searching for other people that might have had the same problem (by which time my headache was starting to come back), and found someone had had this problem because of a bad McAfee install.

Sure enough, uninstalling McAfee worked wonders.  I've since redownloaded and reinstalled it, and things seem to be working ok.

So, I started the day with an awful massive headache, only to have it finally clear up in time for a headache of a different sort.

No comments:

Post a Comment